birding-aus

TRIP TO CAIRNS AREA - January 2002

Subject: TRIP TO CAIRNS AREA - January 2002
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:32:56 +1000

TRIP REPORT
?

CAIRNS AND ENVIRONS, WEIPA - NORTH QUEENSLAND

26 January - 5 February 2002

On Australia Day, my wife, Rosemary, and I left hot Melbourne for 10 days in
tropical, down-town Cairns.  In late January, you might expect Cairns to be very
warm, humid and perhaps quite wet.  It wasn't.  Before we arrived it had been
very dry and very hot (up to 37° C).  Luckily, it was much cooler all the time
we were there (at about 32° C), remaining dry, and quite suitable for the
primary purpose of our visit - birding.  We had recorded 234 species by the time
we left.

The highlights were:

·    Cairns area - a good selection of waders, including Broad-billed Sandpiper,
at the Esplanade.  Varied and Yellow Honeyeaters.

·    Atherton Tableland - six Southern Cassowaries (1 male, 2 females and 3
juveniles) at Cassowary House (appropriately), Cotton Pygmy-Goose, Atherton
Scrubwren, Macleay's and Bridled Honeyeater, Grey-headed Robin, Barred
Cuckoo-Shrike, Victoria's Riflebird, Spotted Catbird and Tooth-billed Bowerbird.

·    Julatten -  Red-necked Crake (at our front door for breakfast),
Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher, Noisy Pitta, Bush-hen at Kingfisher Park;  up
to 15 Blue-faced Parrot-Finches, Mountain Thornbill, Chowchilla and Golden
Bowerbird on Mount Lewis

·    Mount Milloy / Mount Carbine area - White-browed Crake, Pacific Baza,
Australian Bustard, Helmeted Guineafowl (the feral population) and White-browed
Robin.

·    Mossman area - 2 Red-rumped Swallows near Newell Beach.  Surprisingly, no
Barn Swallows at the "traditional" roost in Newell Beach.  In fact, only a few
(8) Welcome Swallows were in town.

·    Daintree area - Great-billed Heron, Papuan Frogmouth, Mangrove Robin and
Shining Flycatcher on a boat trip on the Daintree River; Lesser Sooty Owl at
Cooper Creek.

·    Weipa - On the itinerary for Spotted Whistling-Duck.  We saw about 20.  A
local birder, Michael Barnett, was most helpful and generous with his time.  He
says that SWD are there year round and breeding.  The real surprise for me was
the number of unexpected species in the vine-thickets around Weipa.  We observed
Pied Heron, Black Bittern, Palm Cockatoo, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Tropical
Scrubwren, Tawny-breasted Honeyeater and Yellow-breasted Boatbill.  As well,
Little Kingfisher, Black-backed Butcherbird, Magnificent Riflebird and Trumpet
Manucode and lots more have been recorded - Michael has comprehensive Atlas
lists.  A real highlight was the approximately 1,000 Great and Lesser
Frigatebirds that fly in at dusk and roost in the trees near the port.  A very
interesting two days, except for the constant rain - the only time we got (very)
wet..

·    Michaelmas Cay - Great Frigatebirds, Brown Booby, Common Noddies and Lesser
Crested, Black-naped, Sooty and Bridled Terns.

There were also plenty of mammals, the best of which were Lemuroid Ringtail,
Herbert River Ringtail, Green Ringtail, Musky Rat-Kangaroo, Fawn-footed Melomys,
Red-legged Pademelon, Giant White-tailed Rat and Spectacled Flying Fox.

We got plenty of assistance from a number of people, including Phil and Sue
Gregory at Cassowary House, Ron Stannard and his helpers at Kingfisher Park,
Geoff and Diana at Red Mill House in Daintree Village, Peter Cooper, the
"Mangrove Man" on the Daintree River, Michael Barnett in Weipa and John Chambers
at Lake Eacham.  Thanks to you all.

Finally, I have previously mentioned Lloyd Nielson's book, "Birds of
Queensland's Wet Tropics and Great Barrier Reef".  It is served us well again.