birding-aus

Possible Slender-billed Gull in Broome

Subject: Possible Slender-billed Gull in Broome
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:04:23 +0800
Robbie Brown from Phillip Island and I have just returned from a week in Broome. Very dry until the day we left (Monday 4th) when Cyclone Chris passed by. Strongish winds but nowhere near gale force, but the rain had well and truly set in.

We spent part of the last morning at Entrance Point near the wharf in Broome. We saw an unusual gull that is superficially an aberrant adult non breeding Silver Gull but it has a very long bill, no windows in the primaries, a wide white leading edge to the primaries (like a Black-headed Gull) and a white outer iris. there is a good chance that this bird was not a Silver Gull but a Slender-billed Gull (Larus genei). This would be a new bird for Australia.

I have written up the details that I have so far on my web site. Go to the Articles section.

I welcome any comments. I am hoping that the bird will hang around and that someone in Broome will get some photographs and some more details.

We also got photographs of the "Kelp Gull" first seen by George Swann at Entrance Point on 28th December 2001. The exact identity of this bird has not been confirmed. I will be writing up my details this weekend, and I will scan some of my photographs for my web site when I get them back next week.

Along with the Sabine's Gull reported by Chris Hassell on the 14th December 2001, this makes three unusual gulls found in Broome in the last two months.