birding-aus

Pitt Town Bottoms

To: "birding-aus, birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pitt Town Bottoms
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:09:43 +1100
Can anyone explain why Pitt Town lagoon (near Windsor NSW) remains so
obstinately empty despite all the rain we have had?  Is the water level
there maintained artificially?  On a visit to the area yesterday
(Sunday), I found Cattai Creek in a surging muddy spate and all the
other lagoons, including Long Neck, seemed fine.  But Pitt Town still
looks like a green paddock.

There were plenty of Crakes (no Spotless) and one Glossy Ibis at
McGraths Hill STW; and still at least 3 Freckled Ducks (one male and two
females) on the lagoon neary opposite the turn-off to Mitchell Park,
which Chris Shinton found for me.  Thanks again, Chris.
John Clifton-Everest
--
Associate Professor John M. Clifton-Everest
Department of Germanic Studies