birding-aus

Balancing Kangaroo Island

To: <>
Subject: Balancing Kangaroo Island
From: "Jon and Fiona Hall" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:26:18 +1100
Tammars are actually native to KI.  It is the Koalas there that are causing
a problem - and judging by the success of most previous biological control
programs I'd be very sceptical that a powerful owl would survive in what is
mainly mallee or, if they did, decide to eat Koala.  They'd probably begin
by picking off the last 20 or so  KI dunnarts before turning their attention
to the Glossy Blacks!

Feral Future by Tim Low deals with all this sort of stuff fantastically

Jon