birding-aus

defining Ozdemics

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: defining Ozdemics
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:46:50 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I've been reading this debate with a great deal of
interest and had a chat on the phone last night about
it and I wonder should some thought be given to
perhaps, a new Australian word, that defines what many
on this list once thought "Endemic" meant? we do have
sedentary birds and migratory birds here within
Australia, so how about a brand new word? we've stolen
the "King's English" and attempt to make it apply to
Australia, which is NOT where the original use of the
word "Endemic" was first applied ..... I think we
should use the word "Flippa" they are found within a
certain area most of the time? but they can flippa to
different locations within that area?

Or should we give more creedance to thee "Oxford
English Dictionary" sorry about this ... but spit spit
I'm more of a Cambridge fella :^]

I agree with the wording of "Regularily found among"
but what should be done with "Swift parrots"
regularily found among Musk Lorikeet?

Anne A. Nomilee for and on behalf of John A. Gamblin
Simon Mustoe <> wrote:

I sent this to John earlier, but you may as well all
read it.

The definition of endemic differs depending on how you
use it. It's often used to describe species that are
restricted to a particular country, island or other
geographical area. This is particularly useful if you
happen to be a world-birder and want to know which
birds to concentrate on between flights.

Tina MacDonald's site is fantastic and it lists endems
for many countries and a whole wealth of other
information at

 www.camacdonald.com/birding/birding.htm

However, I notice that there does not appear to be
working link to endems for Australia at present which
is annoying.

You've got to love us Ozzies eh? :^D

The dictionary definition of endemic is something that
is 'regularly found in a particular region'.

Yessum .....

[Laurie - strangely your definition is identical to
the one that is in my Oxford English Dictionary].

The ICBP (now BirdLife International) defined Endemic
Bird Areas (EBAs) in 'Putting Biodiversity on the Map'
as areas where there are two or more Restricted Range
Species.

Hmmmmm send them back to school ??????

In this respect, BirdLife consider a species to be
endemic if it has a total range size of 50,000km^2 or
less. With country borders changing all the time and
an avian disregard for national sovereignty issues, it
is
easiest to use a less arbitrary definition of endemic
if you wanna be scientific.

Cheers,
Simon