birding-aus

Birding South OZ

Subject: Birding South OZ
From: David Siems <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:52:09 +1100
 Hi Netters,
            After sorting out our plans, Reg Clark and me headed off
Saturday afternoon from Sydney to Ceduna in SA. We arrived Monday at 5pm to
meet up with Doug Holly and Liz Lewis in the Shoreline Caravan Park. The map
showed 1945km, my speedo 2150km.
            A 4:30am wake up and off at 5am in Doug's Toyota 4WD heading
north of Ceduna in search of the Scarlet-chested Parrot. Arriving at sunrise
at the designated spot we searched the area. After two hours without the
bird we moved to the Rockhole for a cuppa. Liz suggested a search near some
big trees and sure enough found a pair of Scarlet-chested Parrots. I was
called over and excellent views of a beautiful pair of parrots were enjoyed.
Thankyou Tony. Reg needed to see Western Yellow Robin and Doug heard a bird
and after a short walk, Reg had tick No2.
            Reg and me departed for Port Lincoln and 40km out of PL on went
the brakes to check out Fairy Terns flying from the lake accross the road to
the sea and back. Reg had tick No3. Next morning we headed out to Lincoln
N/P and driving through the park a Western Whipbird flew accross the road. A
short tape and the bird ran around near our feet, then up onto a bush to
sing, head up for a minute. Reg tick No4. While searching and area for
Blue-breasted Wren a flock of 20 Rock Parrots flew in to feed on a bush 7
metres from us. Reg tick No5. Driving from that area I heard a wren out the
window. We stopped, checked and found a family of Blue-breasted Wrens with
the male in full breeding plumage. Reg tick No6. After lunch drove the 20km
west of PL to the Big Swamp and what an afternoon. 200+ Cape Barren Geese.
Reg tick No7.
            Big Swamp (north side):- 200+ Cape Barren Geese. 400+ Banded
Stilt including 300 imm. 2 Red-necked Avocet. 100+ Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.
200+ Black-winged Stilt. 14 Glossy Ibis. 130+ Black-tailed Native-hen. 20
Greenshank. 33 Red-kneed Dotterel. 80 White-faced Heron. 1500+ waterfowl,
Black Duck, Chestnut Teal, Pink-eared Duck and Aust Shoveler. Peregrine
Falcon and Marsh Harrier. 30 Black Swan. Pacific Heron. Royal and Yellow
Spoonbill. 20 Masked Lapwing.
             Big Swamp (south side):- 100+ Hoary-headed Grebe. 100+ Coot. 3
Musk Duck. 80 Cape Barren Geese. Black-fronted Plover with eggs.
             There is a "For Sale" sign standing in the lake advertising the
36 square home and 116 acres including the lake.
             We arrived back Saturday at 11pm after covering 4738km in eight
days. A really enjoyable trip as the beauty of the Scarlet-chested Parrot
blew me away.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia