birding-aus

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:10:37 +1100

Subject: Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:10:37 +1100
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:10:41 +1100 (EST)
To all the Birding-Aus Community:

Could I remind everyone who reads Birding-Aus, either by subscribing to the
mailing list, or on the web, or on the archive, that it is an offence to send
an email message pretending to be somebody else.  The seriousness of the
offence depends on the jurisdiction of the sender's home state or country as
well as that of Victoria, where Birding-Aus is served from, and may extend to
the local laws of the individual impersonated.

Somebody sent an email message to Birding-Aus yesterday, pretending to be Peter
Waanders, and saying some rather offensive things.  I havne't spoken with Peter
as yet, but I imagine he would be embarrassed by this message, although we all
now know it WAS NOT Peter Waanders who sent it.  I can prove it wasn't Peter,
but I won't say any more for now.

I will do everything in my power to track down the culprit.  I assume that
Vicnet will assist me in this, and for the first time ever I would be quite
happy to see legal action result from a Birding-Aus message.

DO NOT impersonate anyone else on this list - it is cowardly, despicable, and
illegal.

Can we have no further comment publicly on this matter please as it may well
have repercussions - if anyone can give me further information or expertise
then of course I would be grateful.

Thank You

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner