birding-aus

Borneo

Subject: Borneo
From: Katarina Stenman <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:45:38 +0100
Hi again

Sorry to fill you inbox with non australian matters. A couple of weeks ago I asked for Khao Lak info, Thanks to you who answered!

But we will not go to Thailand, therefore I have a new info request. This because a "last-minute" charter ticket to Borneo turned out to be the best offer at the moment. We will be arriving in Kota Kinabalu on the 30th of January and stay for 2 weeks. "We" include a 6 year old and her father.

I would appreciate all info on "best guided tour", "best place to find birds", "best place to stay"..... So far I have been searching the net for info but it is most irritating to find lots of interesting tours offered but very rarely any hint of the cost involved is given. However we have planned to rent a car for a few days and probably fly to Sandakan and do that area in one way or another. Anyone done that trip by car (KK - Sandakan)? Worth the time spent driving or is it just boring plantations along the road? I have access to "Birdwatchers guide to Malaysia" and some friends that been travelling in Sabah, but hopefully someone of the BIRDING-AUSers can provide something useful.

Thanks again,
Katarina Stenman, north Sweden
1034 lifers so far...................