birding-aus

Shore bird plumages

Subject: Shore bird plumages
From: Turkka Korvenpää <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:01:28 +0200 (EET)
Hello,

  we are going to travel in Australia in March and do some birding as well.
Birding-aus has been enormously helpful as the web in general, but we still
have not found an answer to the following question:

Have wintering shore birds (plovers etc.) already in March their breeding
plumage or still the non-breeding one ? It would help in doing "the
homework" if we could know which one we would probably see. Some species
that seem to winter in Australia are actually common breeding birds as far
away as here in northern Europe, so we are much more familiar with their
breeding plumages... And if anyone happens to have a trip report etc. from
Vanuatu, we would also be interested in hearing about it, as Vanuatu is
also on our travel itinerary.

Cheers (it is raining outside and most of the snow will probably have
melted by next morning).

Terhi & Turkka Korvenpää
Finland