birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands Hide (suburban Melbourne)

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Edithvale Wetlands Hide (suburban Melbourne)
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:10:01 +1100
I made my first visit to the Edithvale Wetlands hide today, Sunday (I have been to the wetlands previously, but never at a time when the hide was open).  As Sean Dooley observed last week, it truly is a fine example of its kind.  And the birds at present are a bit special too.  Worth mentioning are:
  • Australian (Spotted), Spotless and Baillon's Crakes, and Latham's Snipe - all within 20 metres, in the open, in terrific light.
  • Ditto for Clamorous Reed-warbler and Little Grassbird.
  • Both spoonbills
  • White-faced, White-necked and Rufous Night herons.
  • Marsh Sandpiper.
  • Red-kneed Dotterel.
  • Magpie-goose.
Well worth a visit in its current condition.Richard

PS  By the way, what is the provenance of the Magpie-goose?  (I understand that there have been several over at Braeside Park.)  Is it a wild bird a long way from its present usual range?  Or a result of the Serendip program?  Or something else again?

        DR RICHARD NOWOTNY
        8 Pier St
        Port Melbourne
        VIC  AUSTRALIA  3207.