birding-aus

More on "mimicry" & JAG

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: More on "mimicry" & JAG
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:42:04 +1100
I hope John Gamblin is well. I really think he has gone completely "potty". Usually I can only manage the first two lines of anything he writes these days and then give up.

Anyway he actually raised or stumbled upon, a very valid and little known point about mimicry, in his line (corrected by me): "we should not call it mimicking when it is merely a sound copying a call" That is absolutely true in the sense in which mimicry is usually referred to in biology. Most bird call mimicry (lyrebirds, mockingbirds, orioles, magpies, etc.) is not in any way the same phenomenon as the usual meaning of the word "mimicry" and is better termed: "Vocal Appropriation", as elucidated by Dobkin (1979).

The following extract comes from my 1994 (second) article about Regent Honeyeater vocal mimicry:

"An analysis with a more useful bearing on mimicry was given by Dobkin (1979) who suggested some new terms and clearly differentiated between the common phenomenon 'vocal appropriation' (the non-deceptive copying of sounds of other species for intraspecific communication use) and the rarest form, true mimicry, plus two other categories, vocal imitation and vocal convergence, which are not directly relevant here. Although Dobkin's literature search was extensive, he did not provide an example matching his largely theoretical exposition of 'Competitive Batesian Acoustic Mimicry', one of his suggested types of true mimicry. Krebs (1977) discussed the possible advantage of increase of song
repertoire to deceive others into thinking that bird density is higher than it is. Slater (1978), Krebs (1978) and especially Rechten (1978) extended that issue into mimicry. Rechten (1978), citing one hypothesis that 'The imitations are directed at individuals of the copied species, serving interspecific territorial defence'. She pointed out that 'For true mimicry, one would predict a tendency for mimics to choose predatory, larger or competing species as models.' Batesian mimicry requires that the mimic exist at a lower population density than the model species as applies in this case. Unlike other 'mimics', for which it is now thought that the mimicry functions to keep the lines of communication open, the Regent Honeyeater's behaviour fits exactly into Dobkin's and Rechten's idea of Competitive Batesian Acoustic Mimicry."
My point at the time, being that I believed that the Regent Honeyeater does, (and still think so).

Philip

Krebs, J.R. (1977), 'The significance of song repertoires: the Beau Geste hypothesis' Animal Behaviour 25, 475-478.
Rechten, C. (1978), 'Interspecific mimicry in birdsong: does the Beau Geste hypothesis apply?', Animal Behaviour 26, 304.
Slater, P.J.B. (1978), 'Beau Geste has problems', Animal Behaviour 26, 304.