birding-aus

Biodoversity and fire

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Biodoversity and fire
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:56:22 +1100
I presume that I will not create mayhem here when I report that the fires in
and around Sydney have wiped out 50-60% of Royal National Park ... the third
major fire like that since 1988. The habitat has been much modified. Since
the 1994 fires, which wiped out 90% in a hot fire, the deer population has
exploded and is now estimated to be over 2000 ... having a major effect on
the environment. eg ... It is estimated that where deer exist in littoral
rainforest the biodiversity is 70% less than when they are excluded.

You can see that this has a major impact on birds!!!

Now this fire ahs driven the deer eastward, to unburnt heathlands ... And
there is an opportunity to cull. Bit time. What we need is political will to
go over the top of the RSPCA and Animal Welfare groups who somehow seem to
think that each deer is more important than an ecosystem and the natural
fauna and flora that is threatened by them! What we need now is pressure ...
on Debus, the NPWS Minister for the Environment , on Carr, the Premier, and
on Gilligan, the Director General of the NPWS .... We need a quick cull.
Very quick. Before the Park is open again and before the new shoots emerge,
... to be eaten by ravenous deer (one deer equals three swamp wallabies in
native vegetation eaten).

Please act. It will be too late if you let others do it for you and if the
Animal Liberation people dominate the debate. Bird! The native ecosystem.
They will suffer if you do not!

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine