birding-aus

"Grouse" Killed By Rocket - The Joke Is On Me

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: "Grouse" Killed By Rocket - The Joke Is On Me
From: "EDDIE CHAPMAN" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:17:27 +0100
Hello All,
I sent a mail to the group on 4/1 with the title "Grouse" Killed By Rocket.
I wrote about a grouse that fell down dead at the feet of a family in North
Norway who were watching the fireworks that were being sent up on New Years
Eve. It seemed that the bird had been hit by a rocket as it was burnt on its
neck and back, and was still warm.

Well, the joke is now on me. In today's papers there is a follow-up story.
It seems that a man wanted to play a joke on his next door neighbour (the
family that were watching the fireworks) It seems that he took the bird out
of his own freezer, warmed it up in the microwave and burnt its feathers
with a lighter. After this he ran outside, and threw the bird over his
neighbours roof where the dead bird fell in to the garden. As one would
expect, the family thought that the bird had been hit by a rocket while in
flight, and fell from the sky.

At least I was not alone in reporting the incident. Several newspapers, as
well as the Norwegian national TV station covered the story. Today's article
states that the two neighbours are still good friends, and I too had to
laugh, even though the story fooled me.

All the best,
Eddie Chapman.  Voss.   Norway.
Website: Bird Watching In Norway - Birding Holidays In Norway
Norwegian Rare Bird Alert. http://hjem.sol.no/echapman/