birding-aus

Greater Glider correction

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Greater Glider correction
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:22:24 +1100
Just a quick clarification/correction.

In my posting of Jan 1, "The Big Twitch begins" I wrote the following...

                    There were also Greater, Yellow-bellied and Sugar gliders
                    calling- nocturnal heaven!

What I should have written was that I saw Greater Glider and heard the other two species. Greater Gliders are presumed to be silent and have no known call, as was pointed out to me by Peter Menkhorst who was worried he may have to rewrite his recently published book on Australian mammals. If I had read the section on Greater Gliders I would have been aware of my faux par.

Yet another reason why everyone should but Peter's magnificent book. Sure it's not about birds, but it makes a great companion to all those bird guides, and if you're anything like me, you need a lot more help identifying even common mammals than you do with birds.

Oh, and I have no pecuniary interest in Peter's book. I just think it's pretty cool.