birding-aus

Black-necked Stork with eel

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-necked Stork with eel
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:17:11 +1000
Gooday again,
While crossing Nulla Ck at Abbot Point just North of Bowen this afternoon
(Sun 23 Dec. 2001) I observed an adult Black-necked Stork proudly marching
along with an eel hanging from that large bill. The eel would have been at
least 40cm long and equivalent in diameter to a 25mm hose. As the eel was
just hanging from the bill I assumed it was dead but did not observe if the
Stork had killed it or picked it up dead.
Water level is low at present so the bird may well be feeding on carrion?
HANZAB Vol 1 Part 2 page 1066 states "Eel's taken to waters edge to kill and
swallow (C.&D. Frith)." The female that I observed was still walking through
water at that leisurely pace that provided the nickname "Policeman Bird".
As it had its mouth full it could not give a rendition of "hello, hello,
what have we got here".
Jon Wren