birding-aus

Ravensbourne NP, Qld

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Ravensbourne NP, Qld
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:09:05 +1000
My son Owen has just spent a few days out at Carnarvon Gorge, and called in
at home for a couple of days on his way back to Brisbane. So, an opportunity
to spend a bit of time birding together this-morning.

We took the 17 Mile Road up to Ravensbourne National Park, on the eastern
escarpment of the Dividing Range - and still in the Lockyer catchment area.

Mid-morning, and mid-week. No vehicles in the car park, and the prospect of
a slow walk through the rainforest without the disturbance of other people
having their own kinds of fun in the country. No other birders either.

And it proved to be just what we had hoped for. A couple of hours of
ambling, punctuated with sights and sounds of Paradise Riflebirds, Green
Catbirds, Russet-tailed Thrush, Wompoo Fruit-doves, Wonga Pigeons, and a
silent Noisy Pitta, very happy to be seen (at close quarters) and not heard,
just the opposite of what is often their practice, along with multi other
small rainforest passerines, parrots and doves.

Then an easy downhill drive the 17 country miles home, from the top of the
range to the bottom. A journey which sometimes reveals Spotted Quail-thrush
crossing the road, or flitting into the roadside forest, but not today.

Just a short morning's outing to an always reliable piece of forest, not too
far from Toowoomba.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056