birding-aus

cyber something or other

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: cyber something or other
From: Peter Adderley <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:55:16 +1100
>What a fantastic, clear explanation - well done, and thanks for taking the
>time to clarify some of these issues.  I can see now that I've been as lucky
>as I have been successful in keeping my system clean.
>By the way, can viruses lurk in some sig types?  I know some users have a
>vcd attachment for their sig - is this likely to hide nasties?

ANY attachments can hide nasties, and it's real pain to discern the difference.
I used to send html emails to friends containing quaint midi files, photo images,
.wav files and other assorted entertaining oddments, being a firm promoter
of the multimedia ideal. But now that's all changed due to a bunch of
brainless idiots who have taken it upon themselves to try to change the world,
by stealth. It's cyber-terrorism, make no mistake, and we the civilians bear the brunt.
Same as it ever was..

Try to discourage email contacts from using id sigs or anything of the kind.
If they're not dangerous now, they WILL be very soon now.

But we don't <not> go out for fear of catching a cold, or any other common organic virus,
nor should we let these cretins destroy what has become the most powerful
communications medium human kind has experienced in history.
We rejoice in having the freedom to contact others of similar interest:
the net is a wonderful thing. But unfortunately there's a price to pay.
We are now just beginning to understand the costs.
Like any other human endeavour, perseverance and understanding are still the keys.

My goodness what a wonderful sunset we're seeing in Gosford. To hell with the net.
Reality's there, and the wattle birds are calling.

Cheers,
Peter