birding-aus

Fw: Badtrans virus

To: <>
Subject: Fw: Badtrans virus
From: "Judy Caughley" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:35:38 +1000

Hi All,

I received badtrans from a friend (not on birding aus) and thanks to Tommy Pederson who posted the Norton web site for instructions on how to delete it, I was able to remove it. Since it took me quite a while to follow the instructions(I'm not very computer literate), I thought some of you might find it useful to know the steps so that you can (a) check to see if you are infected and (b) delete the offending files.

There are 3 files that need to be deleted:
KERNEL32.E_X_E (modified to get past Russell's filter)
KDLL.D_L_L (ditto)
Both are found in the Windows System directory
ie Right click on Start, Left click on Explore, and left click on Windows then on System and then search down the list of files to see if there are files with those names. If there are, highlight them and hit delete. There are other files in the list with similar names so be careful.
The third step is longer. In Explore, click on Windows, Options, Cabs then run down the list of files and open Regedit.exe. This will offer a menu. Select
HKEY_Local_Machine, then
Software, then
Microsoft, then
Windows, then
Current Version, then
Run Once.
If in that folder there is a line Kernel32=kernel32.e_x_e
highlight it and delete it.
Then empty your recycle bin.
Hope someone finds this useful...
Happy birding