birding-aus

Predators[Reptiles]

To: <>
Subject: Predators[Reptiles]
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:51:46 +0930
Thought I'd put my "two bob's" worth in about this subject, as in the last week we've had 3 different sorts of reptilian predators in our house yard.
Firstly a Sand Goanna, who no doubt had a feast of various types of eggs. Secondly a King Brown, who I know had a baby White-plumed Honeyeater for breakfast and, thirdly a Carpet Snake,who, I hope is living on mice.
I have 2 White-plumed Honeyeater nests just outside the office window and I watch the whole process of nest building, laying, hatching, feeding etc. every year.A few days ago [mid-morning] I heard a commotion from a lot of little birds, and knew immediately it was a snake.
I peeked out to have a look and sure enough, a King Brown was slithering along the garden bed and then went under the house. I then had a look in the nest for the one little Honeyeater and it was gone. It was in it's nest a couple of hours previously so I assume it must have been the snake.
The Carpet Snake is a long time resident of our house yard and no doubt eats baby birds. It actually lives in an old aviary which is now a chook yard, so I'm hoping it eats more mice[who like the chook feed] than it does birds.
We've seen two pairs of Spotted Nightjars this week. One pair only about a klm. from the house and another a bit further out towards the mulga country. Both pairs flew up just from the side of the road, so are obviously nesting there. With all the predators around it seems to be miraculous that these ground nesting birds in particular manage to rear a chick.

Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490

PH.  O746551238