birding-aus

Apostlebirds at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Apostlebirds at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:24:02 +1000
G'day all,

This species continues to expand its territory !

This species is only a "recent" arrival to Mount Isa district.
It was not listed in
... R.K.Carruthers' extensive 1968 list.
... Bill Horton's paper in Sunbird V6 (3), 49-69,1975 "Birds of Mount Isa"
... Helen Horton's book "Around Mount Isa" (UQP) 1976

My closest observations of it to Mount Isa have been 5km north of town at and near the Moondarra Caravan Park.

Yesterday, I saw 12 (yes,exactly twelve) Apostlebirds 6.5km south of town.
They were preparing to roost for the night in a tree that contained two mud nests that could have been theirs. No water was in the immediate vicinity.

Reference...McAllan & O'Brien, Aust Bird Watcher, Vol19(1), March,2001, 14-27, "The Changing Distribution of the Apostlebird"

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.