birding-aus

Swifts

To: <>
Subject: Swifts
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:59:11 +1100
Hi Birders,
Edwin Vella asked if anyone was seeing Swifts in NSW.
My first White-throated Needletails for the season were seen on the Twitchathon on 27 October at Munmorah SRA 30+ but others saw them on the same day at Norahville heaths,  near Nelsons Bay and further north. 30+ seen Freemans Hill, Munmorah SRA 14 November, and  at home at Chittaway on 18 November  6 seen ahead of the current storms on the Coast.There has been one report of one Fork-tailed Swift so far this season.

As yet I have seen no seabirds off course, not have I heard of any others being seen elsewhere.  The Little Tern colony at Bongil Creek, Coffs Harbour has almost been wiped out by the high seas and the weather has probably impacted on other Little Tern colonies. It has been too wet and windy to check on the local colony at Karagi Pt The Entrance.
Alan Morris