birding-aus

Spotlighting

To: <>
Subject: Spotlighting
From: "Neville and Charlotte Brock" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:53:04 +1100
Hi to all you birders,

I have just set up a spotlight system consisting of a Lightforce 240Blitz hand held spotlight - a big light - 240mm diameter but it is fairly light with a focusable beam. This is a powerfull light (a true 1000,000 candle power) and uses a 100Watt Zenon bulb.

I have connected a dimmer controll to this - available from lifghtforce - make sure that you get the most recent version. This allows you to dim the light (using pulse width modulation - I presume) for use as a walking light or once you have spotted something. Using this you basically have a 0Watt to a 100Watt light at the turm of a knob - very handy.

This is conected to a 7.0Ah Yuasa Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery which is carried in a bum bag. This sytem will give you 30 minutes of lighting on full power for one battery.

It is best not to let the SLA batteries from becoming fully discharge as this greatly reduces their life so I have incorporated a little circuit (available from Dick Smith's) that uses a dual colour LED which turns from green to red at a pre set voltage - I've used 11.3volts. This will let you know when to change batteries - or head for home!! If there are two of you the other person can carry a spare battery to share the load if required.

I have also used a red filter with this system - but have found that it greatly reduces the perceived output of the light - but then again it probably doesn't disturb the wildlife.

I've only spotted possums so far - probably scared everything else away!!

Just thought this may be of interest.

Simon Brock.

ps. I don't work for Lightforce.