birding-aus

Re: Spotlighting

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Spotlighting
From: "Ian Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:49:02 +1000
Damian wrote

>As to a light, you do need a powerful one, and more importantly one with a
>focussed beam, not a wide spreading one. A pair of binocs is also
>essential to home in on the eyes you see at a distance.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service limit the strength of hand held
spotlights to 30 watts and all spotlights for prolonged use must have a red
filter.   This is to limit the damage that could occur to birds/mammals eyes
if a powerful spotlight is used.    I suggest that anyone wishing to have a
go at spotlighting follow these same guide lines.  Another tip once you have
located a bird don't hold the light directly on the bird move it to one side
and keep the distress to a minimum.

PS.  I do have a 100 watt spotlight that I use when not in National Parks,
this is turned of once  a bird/mammal is located, we then use the 30 watt
spotlight to view the bird/mammal.

Regards

Ian Clayton

Birds & Bush Tours
PO Box 6037, TMC
Townsville
Queensland 4810
Australia

Phone/Fax: (07) 4721 6489
Phone International: + 61 7 47216489

Email:

Web: http://home.austarnet.com.au/bbtours

To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded so that
they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees, as
they watch for birds.

Gore Vidal