birding-aus

Top end trip

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Top end trip
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:48:49 +1000
Dear all ,
Just a quick follow-up on Mike Carter's brief
report from the Ashmore Reef pelagic trip.
Melb and Syd people may also be interested to
know that Andrew Stafford has written an article
on the boat people situation which will appear
in The Age and Sun Herald tomorrow.Andrew
was on the same trip as myself and others.
I understand the article uses a couple of my photos also.
.......so I'm interested in how they turn out in the
paper.....we don't get either paper here.

I had a fantastic time with 20 lifers including my
600th.....which incidentally was Andrew's 650th!
....A Red-footed Booby.A total of 192 species
in Darwin;Broome and the 7 day sailing trip.

New birds for me were...
Darwin:Green-backed Gerygone
           Rufous Owl....still at the botanical gardens
           Chestnut Rail....with it's donkey call (thanks Barry )

Broome:Common Redshank
             Asian Dowitcher
             White-breasted Whistler
             Oriental Pratincole
             Oriental Plover
             Yellow Chat...stacks!
              Broad-billed Sandpiper
              Barn Swallow
              Swinhoe's Snipe

On the trip:Bulwer's Petrel
                Jouanin's Petrel
                Matsudaira's Storm-petrel
                Swinhoe's Storm-petrel
                Red-footed Booby
                Arctic Warbler!....3 would you believe including photos!
                                          Thanks Chris!
                 Long-tailed Jaeger
                 Arctic Tern
                 Streaked Shearwater

Had 2 Swinhoe new birds;2 Arctic new birds and 2 Oriental new birds

I strongly advise anyone to take these once in a lifetime
opportunities....especially with such experienced seabirders.

Mike Carter ,although sick, was a terrific leader.
Chris Barnes;Paul Wallbridge and Andrew Stafford
fanatical seabirders with immense knowledge to share.
Pommy Chris Coben...sorry I should say Jeeves was great company.
And Barry from Alice Springs a hive of info for central birds.

I'm sure a proper detailed pelagic report will be forthcoming.
All the best,
Bill
Bundaberg
The boat and crew were also terrific!