birding-aus

sandpiper

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: sandpiper
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:00:52 +1000
Thanks to all those who responded to my request for help.

The general opinion is that it would not be a Green Sandpiper.  I think my
original posting indicated that we were sceptical about our own conclusion.
That's why I asked on Birding-aus.

Most of those responding mentioned Wandering Tattler.  We also considered
this, particularly as we have seen these before at Hastings Point which as
Frank O'Connor pointed out is a known Wandering Tattler site.

The bird Denise and I saw was VERY dark above.  The legs were definitely
greenish and not yellow.  It appeared smaller than a Tattler as well as
finer built and more upright.  We thought it was spotted on the back but
would not swear to it on a stack of bibles.

Unfortunately the scope was in the car, a considerable distance away.  We
were on our way home and stopped originally because there was a shelter shed
to keep off the rain (if it started again) while we had an early morning
tea.  We did approach to within 30 or 40 metres and had long, good views in
good light even if it was overcast.  The bird did not perform any "bobbing"
movements like a sandpiper.  As I stated earlier, we are sceptical about it
being a Green Sandpiper but we are still unable to come up with anything
better.

I guess it will remain one of those "maybes".

Terry Pacey
27°57'02"S  153°24'12"E
Gold Coast
SE Qld