birding-aus

Guidelines for Birding-Aus

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Guidelines for Birding-Aus
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:05:30 +1100
Hi all

Could I please remind everyone of the "rules" of birding-aus?

Messages sent to the birding-aus mailing list SHOULD NOT:

1.    be of a purely commercial nature
2.    contain offensive or inappropriate language
3.    contain attachments of any sort
4.    exceed 20Kb in size
5.    include all of the original message if replying (use only
what's needed for clarity)
6.    stray too far from our main topics: Australian birds, their
habitat & conservation
7.    contain any sort of personal attacks or statements that could
be considered defamatory

Mail for the whole list should be sent to

List commands (subscribe/unsubscribe/who, etc) should be sent to

A little more explanation No. 1 - we don't mind people talking about a field
guide / tour guide / product / software etc that they've used.  That's one
of the very important features of the mailing list, being able to talk
openly about the pros and cons of, say, a pair of bins or a bird database.

The lines get blurred a bit when anyone is talking about their own product,
or the product of a friend or colleague.  I trust that everyone would
declare their possible conflict of interest in such a situation.

An advertisement was appended to a message recently, and this did cause some
annoyance.  There are a few people on Birding-Aus who have developed their
own commercial bird-related products, but refrain from mentioning this on
the list.  I can understand them being put out when other people post ads
about competitors' products.

It will be much simpler if everyone abides by the guidelines that NO PRODUCT
ADVERTISEMENTS get sent to the list.  That still leaves the way clear for
info messages about jobs, meetings, outings, twitchathons, fundraising,
trips etc (although some discretion is necessary with the last).

Let's keep this forum uncluttered and continue compiling a very useful
resource for birdwatchers - thanks for everyone who has contributed to it so
far.

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Manager