birding-aus

Manly Roost-Twitchathon

To: <>
Subject: Manly Roost-Twitchathon
From: "Arthur & Sheryl" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:40:25 +1000

On October 11, John Harris posted a message relating to works being conducted at the high tide wader roost at Manly Boat Harbour, Queensland.

Jill Dening, Qld Wader Study Group committee member, replied to the query. I have replied separately to John, but for the benefit of subscribers, I advise that the Manly Boat Harbour User's Group was required, as a condition of an environmental authority issued by Qld’s Environmental Protection Agency to dredge the harbour, to recontour the northern section of the reclamation area as a high tide wader roost site.

QWSG has worked closely with MBHUG and (over quite a long period) the Port of Brisbane Corporation to achieve what is hoped will be a permanent and viable high tide wader roost site. I have to acknowledge the cooperation of MBHUG and PBC in what has been a particularly difficult exercise, one which is not yet finished.
Early indications are promising that the birds will use the recontoured part of the site. Last Saturday’s count of the site was just over 1000 birds, 948 of them waders of 13 species. QWSG members have accessed the site for monthly counts and monitoring of construction works only with permission and, in most cases, accompanied by a PBC officer.

On the weekend of November 3-4, the Birds Qld Twitchathon is to be held in SE Qld. In recent years, many teams have accessed the reclamation area because it has been a reliable site to record wader species.

However, I remind birders who are going to take part in the Twitchathon that the whole of the reclamation area is a construction site. It is not public land. In this regard, of relevance is the first paragraph of the code of conduct (Respecting the law and rights of others) relating to entry to private land in the Birds Queensland directory.

Also, in the near future, when dredging has started and spoil is being pumped/dumped on the southern part of the area, entry will not be without its danger.

With a little more effort on the part of teams in the Twitchathon, the species recorded at Manly can be found at other publicly accessible sites around Moreton Bay.

Arthur Keates
QWSG
Brisbane