birding-aus

lunch-time twitching - the Painted Snipe

To: "Peter S. Lansley" <>
Subject: lunch-time twitching - the Painted Snipe
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:16:04 +1000
Thanks Peter & others,

In light drizzle and in bright sun the Painted Snipe at Banyool was very
cooperative again today - it stood in the open at the edge of the pool for
all of the 45 minutes that I was there (until 8.35am).  It faced me head on,
the only movement was movement of its head.  An excellent view but even then
I am not sure whether it was an adult male or an immature.

The pair of Latham's Snipe at the same pool were much more interesting to
watch as they fed, talked (might have been expressing displeasure at my
presence), chased each other and flew several sorties out over the wetland
and back.

Great viewing.

Barry

Barry and Roberta McLean