birding-aus

Re: Fork-tailed Swift(?)

To: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: Fork-tailed Swift(?)
From: Kiran Krishna <>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:15:32 +1000 (EST)
Philip,
    It does? What is the likelihood of a White-backed Swallow then? Not
only was it flying low, but it was flying low for quite some time after I
saw it. I was under the impression that they rarely fly low. However, I am
certain it was not a Martin, because it had a clear forked tail, and it
wasn't a Welcome Swallow, because I got good enough a look at the
underpart to ensure that there was no russet. Do Welcome Swallows in moult
have no red in there? On the other hand, I doubt it was noticeably smaller
than any other swallow I have seen. I am much more interested in
identifying this bird than getting a tick in front of Fork-tailed Swift.

Kiran

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Philip A. Veerman wrote:

> Fork-tailed Swift seems most unlikely. Don't concern yourself too much
with the different colours, the shape and actions are very different.
Besides, a Fork-tailed Swift is mostly black. If you think it was a
Fork-tailed Swift, not a Welcome Swallow, because of its colour and not
its shape, then you probably have it wrong. What about a Tree Martin?
As for "It was flying fairly low, and hence couldn't be a White-backed
Swallow." Sorry but I don't follow your logic.  Although White-backed
Swallows often fly high, are you suggesting that they never fly low!
Besides Fork-tailed Swift usually fly much higher than White-backed
Swallows do.