birding-aus

White-winged Trillers at Lunch Break (18th October 2001)

To: <>
Subject: White-winged Trillers at Lunch Break (18th October 2001)
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:05:02 -0700
Today, while doing our occasional 5-6 km walk at Fairfield Regional Park (to the west of the Wetherill Park Industrial area, approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD) at lunch break, I was delighted to hear the trilling away of 4 male White-winged Trillers as they were seen circling around the tops of the Eucalypts beside the picnic area. These birds certainly brighten up many parks and other places in western Sydney. Taking this walk is a great escape from the stress of office life (as many of us experience) and a good way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. A Rufous Whistler was also singing loudly, and as usual here, lots of Striated Pardalotes (presumably the resident red-tipped form) and Weebills were calling from the tree tops. Raptors are always seen and I saw a Hobby today in the park. I usually see Black-shouldered Kites, Australian Kestrels and a pair of Brown Falcons here regular (a few of the first 2 species also seen today).

Amongst the children's play area, there are speakers which regularly play soundscapes of Australian Bird calls. Why does the council require this when there are the pure natural sounds like the White-winged Trillers and Rufous Whistlers present today!

Edwin Vella