birding-aus

NW Victoria

Subject: NW Victoria
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1904 02:59:01 +1000
Could I say I big "Thank You" to Chris Tzaros, Chris Coleborn, the Cooks, Mike Hunter & others for the excellent, detailed reports coming in from northern Victoria lately?

I probably shouldn't single out a group of reports like this - but I've only been up to this area a couple of times, and I'm really aching to get up there again to see such fantastic birds. For anyone who hasn't been there it really is one of the best places to go birding, and this seems to be the time to see it. It's not just the great birds, but there is something quintessentially Australian about this area, apart from the obvious point that other countries don't have Mallee. What else is it about this are that makes it such a great place to visit? I like the look of it, the smell of it, the sounds (of course) and I suppose the sense of space. Would anyone else like to suggest why this is really one of the best places on the planet to visit?

And to everyone else sending in great reports from OTHER places - thank you as well - we are really accumulating a fantastic resource of birding information. Hopefully the closing stages of the atlas will be an extra incentive to get everybody out amongst the birds as much as possible. Good luck!

Russell Woodford