birding-aus

Occassional Cairns News - October 2001

To: <>
Subject: Occassional Cairns News - October 2001
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:24:16 +1000
Hi all,
The migrants have started to appear around the Cairns area at last,
Dollarbirds were reported yesterday by Ian Cowan just north of Cairns and I
saw one on Green Island (17 02 35S 145 30 56E), 27Km NE of Cairns on the
Great Barrier Reef, Phil Gregory had reported one up behind Cairns on 11th
Sept. but they are less common on the coast. Koel numbers have been building
up over the last 2-3 weeks as have Channel-billed Cuckoos, which are more
common on the Atherton Tableland behind Cairns at the moment. John Crowhurst
reported his first Broad-billed Sandpiper yesterday (7th Oct) on the Cairns
Esplanade, a lone Grey Plover is also there.
As I mentioned I was on Green Island for a few hours this morning and
gathered a species list of 27. Of interest was a Sooty Oystercatcher, Grey
Plover, I heard lots of Rose-crowned Fruit-Doves but did not see any, Pied
Imperial Pigeons were busy setting up nests and flying off in search of
food, a pair of Beach Stone-curlews were calling from the interior of the
island, Buff-banded Land Rails were all over the place, at least 20, more
than I can recall ever seeing before. A White-eared Monarch was flitting
around in the forest along with a Leaden Flycatcher, two Koels were singing
out and House Sparrows were scrounging around the resort. Just off shore
were several Black-naped Terns sitting on eggs on the navigation towers on
the approach to the island along with Bridled and Crested Terns. The Reef
Egrets were plentiful and about 50-50 grey and white phase birds. A pair of
Pheasant Coucals were also present, how they flew out there I don't know!
The Egrets, Buff-banded Rails and Silvereyes are all very tame and good
photo opportunities can be had with them. On the way over a Brown Booby flew
around the boat, don't usually see them close to Cairns except when a
cyclone is around.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
PO Box 2209, Cairns
Queensland 4870 Australia