birding-aus

red stump mega bird atlas locations

To: <>
Subject: red stump mega bird atlas locations
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:04:42 +1000
Laurie Knight wrote

> I recall there have been discussions in recent times on the fortunes of
> emus and bustards.  These are the locations of the emus, bustards and
> brolgas that I atlassed on my travels.  There were a number of emus and
> bustards that I came across that I didn't atlas, so this is a subset of
> what I saw.  I must say that emus were pretty thin on the ground in the
> Flinders Hwy section of the trip ...
>
> Regards, Laurie.

Laurie Knight, in the above posting has spurred me to do what I had intended
to do some weeks ago. That is to detail our sightings of Emus, Bustards etc
on a 10 week Atlassing trip Ruth and I did in Far North Queensland over
winter. I too had been following the postings about their decline or
otherwise. I am not so sure about the accuracy of some statements that
purport to a massive decline. A lot of Aus. is still suffering from massive
drought which has in some cases caused strange shifts in Avian populations.
I wonder if some of the decline reported is simply birds moving to different
areas. Anyhow, we decided to do incidentals for all Emus, Bustards and
Wedge-tailed Eagles. Brolga's and Sarus Cranes were mainly only recorded as
part of a wider survey. Our sightings are mainly from an area NW of Charters
Towers to Karumba and N to Lakefield National Park on Cape York and were as
follows. [205 surveys have been submited to Birds Australia Atlas from the
trip].

Emu
26 11 17  151 17 17     04-06-'01     1
19 57 26  145 45 06     13-06-'01     1
20 01 37  145 53 04     13-06-'01     1
19 41 33  144 21 17     16-06-'01     2
19 42 24  144 15 10     16-06-'01     1
18 14 57  143 27 10     19-06-'01     1
18 14 20  143 27 35     19-06-'01     3
15 47 50  144 55 35     10-07-'01     1

Bustard
24 45 13  150 49 31     06-06-'01     1
24 31 37  150 37 12     06-06-'01     1
21 49 32  150 13 23     06-06-'01     1
23 46 45  149 40 36     06-06-'01     3
19 53 11  146 12 14     12-06-'01     1
18 17 22  143 48 02     22-06-'01     2
17 26 13  141 03 43     24-06-'01     2
17 27 58  140 49 43     24-06-'01     1
18 17 19  143 32 55     27-06-'01     3
15 02 18  143 40 44     18-07-'01     1
22 21 06  149 31 10     09-08-'01     4

Wedge-tailed Eagle
27 39 40  151 35 06     04-06-'01     2
24 42 50  150 59 06     05-06-'01     1
23 47 55  149 04 45     07-06-'01     1
20 00 55  145 49 22     13-06-'01     3
20 40 12  144 53 54     14-06-'01     1
20 21 03  144 27 52     15-06-'01     2
20 06 36  144 19 48     16-06-'01     1
20 04 17  144 19 14     16-06-'01     2
19 42 24  144 15 10     16-06-'01     2
19 01 16  144 27 53     16-06-'01     1
18 57 00  144 29 42     16-06-'01     1
18 36 05  144 43 19     16-06-'01     2
18 20 50  144 07 22     19-06-'01     1
18 12 15  142 52 49     22-06-'01     1
18 16 43  143 14 30     22-06-'01     1
18 15 13  143 08 04     22-06-'01     1
18 15 29  142 20 16     23-06-'01     1
18 16 18  142 11 31     27-06-'01     1
18 12 08  142 52 20     27-06-'01     1
18 16 50  143 16 22     27-06-'01     3
18 18 41  143 45 15     01-07-'01     1
15 45 38  144 59 40     13-07-'01     1
15 35 15  144 27 10     14-07-'01     1
14 55 30  144 11 53     15-07-'01     1
14 51 04  144 10 02     15-07-'01     1
15 28 02  146 08 20     18-07-'01     1
22 40 59  149 37 03     10-08-'01     1

Brolga
22 12 00  147 14 00     09-06-'01     52
17 26 13  141 03 43     24-06-'01     4
17 16 19  145 34 56     04-07-'01     5
17 17 25  145 34 15     04-07-'01     6
23 46 45  149 40 36     06-06-'01     2
18 18 07  143 21 01     22-06-'01     2
18 12 15  142 52 49     22-06-'01     6
17 51 08  141 07 35     23-06-'01     12
17 27 58  140 49 43     24-06-'01     6
17 39 48  141 05 59     26-06-'01     3 [1 juv.]
17 17 42  145 28 12     04-07-'01     2
17 00 12  145 25 38     06-07-'01     2
16 55 33  145 21 33     08-07-'01     6
16 56 12  145 21 02     08-07-'01     12
15 45 36  144 59 54     10-07-'01     5
14 45 56  144 04 38     15-07-'01     7
15 02 18  143 40 44     18-07-'01     2
16 48 16  145 21 16     22-07-'01     3
19 23 00  146 44 00     04-08-'01     50+
19 19 17  146 50 10     04-08-'01     25+
22 20 40  149 20 59     09-08-'01     6
22 21 06  149 31 10     09-08-'01     3

Sarus Crane
17 40 10  141 04 49     24-06-'01     4
17 11 39  145 32 59     09-07-'01     150+
16 56 12  145 21 02     08-07-'01     4

John & Ruth Walter
Pittsworth SE Qld
27 43 31S  151 38 03E