birding-aus

Recent trip to Iron Range and FNQ

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Recent trip to Iron Range and FNQ
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:04:33 +0930
Hi All, just a brief highlight report and note of appreciation following a
recent one month trip through FNQ and up to Iron Range.
1) Thanks to IR rangers we found the Eclectus Parrots at a number of
locations including the Starling Tree ( yes, we got the mites all over
ourselves) and the Green-backed H/E at the Rainforest Camp.
2) Northern Scrub Robin was active at Cooks Hut and was heard but not seen.
3) A lone Yellow-billed Kingfisher was seen flying across the road at Cooks
Hut and was subsequently heard calling a number of times.  Well out of
normal season.
4) Red-cheeked Parrots were often seen flying overhead and one actually
settled briefly on a tree at Chili Beach swamp for some quick looks.
5) The Spotted Whistling Ducks evaded us at Chili even though we staked out
the swamp for many hours. We were later told that the locals were suspected
of having caught and eaten them. We didn't go to Weipa.
6) A Fawn-breasted Bowerbird was found twice in the short scrub between
Portland Roads and IR NP.
7) The (clarescens) Star Finches were found at Palm Lagoon in Lakefield
 (thanks to Matthew at Lotus) and the (evangelinae) White-bellied Crimson
Finches were found at 12 Mile Lagoon ( thanks again to IR rangers for this
info).
8) Our first attempt at the Red Goshawks at the old ( first) nest near Lotus
proved unsuccessful, but a fortuitous meeting with some UK birders in IR
gave us clues on where to look on the way back. We found the nest at about
4pm one afternoon and scoped and photographed both birds for about two
hours.  Female sitting but frequently standing up at the nest and one time
actually flying a short distance for ablutions. The male was there feeding
her when we arrived and came back a couple of times.  Excellente.
9) Button Quail were flushed from the grass at the IR bombsite but who knows
what they were. Probably Red-backed but we couldn't count them.
10) Back at Kingfisher thanks to Ron Stannard for info re the Golden
Bowerbird at Mt Lewis and the Rufous Owls at Maryfarms.   His Red-necked
Crake now roams the garden like a domestic chook. At Kingfisher and Geraghty
Park we also spotlighted a Papuan Frogmouth, a Barn Owl, and two
Lesser-spotted Owls roosted one day in the roof of the dining area.
10) Golden Bowerbirds were also found at Birthday Creek Falls near Paluma.
11) Thanks once again to Marj Andrews for latest info, we found some
Eungella Honeyeaters at 20km along Dalrymple Rd and on Diggings Rd. at
800metres.
12) Thanks to Russ Lamb for the clues, we found some Black-breasted Button
Quails at Inskip Point.
13) Some brief sightings of six King Quail were had at Lake Samsonvale and I
actually got a good look this time at an Albert's Lyrebird at Joalah NP.

Six lifers for me in this lot but many many more for some of my companions.
Atlassing done around the whole trip.
Tony Russell.

phone: 08 8337 5959
email: