birding-aus

Bridge Creek Valley, Maleny, SEQ

To: <>
Subject: Bridge Creek Valley, Maleny, SEQ
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:38:45 +1000
With all this talk of Spring arrivals I've had a look at what has and what hasn't appeared up here on the Blackall Range, well at least in our little part of it.
  We have the Lewin's HE's in full courting mode, lots of chasies around the flowering grevillas--of each other!! That hasn't stopped a solitary Dusky HE from making an appearance, but no Scarlet HE this year as yet. It's a bit hard to fathom the almost complete absence of Scarlets in our valley, they are as thick as thieves at Mooloolah and Landsborough just 10 km away.I wonder if it's an altitudinal thing? At this time of the year the Eastern Whipbirds get frisky and as a result are much more visible as they chase each other, often up into the relatively sparse branches of eucs. and sometimes across open spaces.

     A juv.Rufous Whistler is in full singing mode each day, and we have also noted the arrival of Spectacled Monarchs two weeks ago, and Black-faced Monarchs last week. Usually their is a gap of many weeks between the two but this year the BFM's are quite early (for here).Saw and heard the wonderful metallic racket of the first Spangled Drongo last week after their departure in April or May. Hope they will again build their spindly nest in their prefered Rose Gum over the bridge as in previous years. The Welcome Swallows have taken up their usual spot under the front verandah.
       Took my usual route through the valley last Sunday at the end of the day, felt the need to connect with something real,something pleasureable, something constant, familiar and comforting after the craziness of that week. Did me wonders, didn't see anything remarkable but took comfort from greeting regular birds doing their normal thing in their usual places in the valley.The Pacific Black Duck pair were patrolling their section of the creek whilst the White-faced Heron fished(?frogged) for frogs. A Rufous Fantail was in a gully, The Pale-headed Rosellas and Scalies poked about in hollows in the paddock gums, a pair of Restless Flycatchers stretched their wires for all to hear.As a bonus a Pretty-face Wallaby and joey appeared and later a Red-necked Wallaby.

 So what haven't we seen yet? Why of course what everyone else is reporting-- we have no Dollarbirds as yet, no Channel-billed Cuckoos( we do have Shining Bronze, they tend to be around most of the year, and the Fantails are trilling away ), no Koel. But they will appear, they always do, and usually later up here than down on the Coast.

    Must thank Bob Inglis for posting the Baillon's Crake at Northlakes, Mango Hill. Saw 5 there on Fri. along with Bob. I predict this will be the best and easiest sightings of BC for a long time. Had to give Enid Pascoe, Tony Russell and their SA party the bad news over the phone tonight that there has been a fire through the Inskip Point Black -breasted Button-quail site. I fear they will again (for the fifth time now ) be disappointed and I can see them heading for Yarraman (yet again) to see acres of platlets ---- and no birds!!!

           Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ