birding-aus

A few questions

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: A few questions
From: Kiran Krishna <>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:37:09 +1000 (EST)
A few questions have been floating around in my mind these past few weeks.
My knowledge of biology is rudimentary. That said, here they are:

1)How does one distinguish between two species and two races of the same
species of birds? For example, classification of butterflies is, I think,
done on the basis of genitalia.

2)Has there been/are there any studies being done on the control of
non-native species of birds (eg Common Myna) in Australia?

3)Occasionally, even now, there are some non-native birds being set free.
Have there been recent studies of the effects of these releases?

I would be grateful for any answers.

Cheers!
                        yours
                             Kiran