birding-aus

Werribee: Notherm Shovelor, OBP, Freckled and Glossy.

To: <>, <>
Subject: Werribee: Notherm Shovelor, OBP, Freckled and Glossy.
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:20:09 +1000
Hi All,

In answer to Jon's question re Werribee, l spent most of Friday (14th Sept)
down at the Western Treatment Plant, so I can give you a bit of a rundown.
Shirley Cameron, who had an excellent knowledge of the area, initially showed
me about. (Thanks for your help Shirley - I really appreciated it!)

·       Northern Shovelor - the bird was on the southern side of Lake Borrie
South, amongst the thousand of Pink-eared Duck and Australasian Shovelor. To
quote Stuart Cooney: "look for a white-breasted duck amongst the 25 000 birds
on Lake Borrie and you've got it." This is actually a very appropriate
description for finding the bird! I spent about 15+ minutes or so scanning each
section of ducks of the both North and South Lagoons until I found it. As a
rule, the best place to look is amongst the largest flock of ducks.

·       Freckled Duck - six birds seen, mainly congregated around the concrete
water filter at the northern end of Lake Borrie South. The best viewpoint is
down the lane covered with mustard weed - which is on the right hand side.
Further on down this lane is another lagoon, which harbored a loverly flock of
darting Whiskered Terns (100+).

·       Glossy Ibis - six (possibly eight) birds were seen, mainly along
Paradise Road.

·       Orange-bellied Parrot - four birds seen along the Split Nature Reserve.
Specifically at the Melbourne end of the reserve (where the wooden fence
begins). Be aware that this is a highly fragile area. To access the reserve
you'll also need the G2 key. Look out also for Striated Fieldwren, and the
waders were also starting to arrive on the beach.

Overall, not a bad day : Northern Shoveler, Orange-bellied Parrot, Freckled
Duck and Victorian Glossy Ibis! If you have any further questions please let me
know.

All the best,

Tim

Tim Dolby