birding-aus

Einstein question?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Einstein question?
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:19:04 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,
It's a glorious day down here today and I've just
asked this of a fellow BA list member .... but I would
like to ask all on this list about this one?

On this gorgeous day down here all is well with me but
my good friend and fellow towable yacht sailor, capt.
of the Southern Cross, has an ask? on Wednesday last
when he was out testing some new blind sailing
gear/equipment in thick, thick fog he had fly past him
at about 20/25 feet some Cape Barren Geese? honking
out loud a clear every few wingbeats or so? we have
both had this happen to us over the years and wonder
is this their mode of location finding? it was a real
pea souper of a fog on Wednesday and Tony Harkin the
SC's capt. says his equipment worked well and he went
out in the fog for about 2 miles then safely navigated
back.

Whilst out there, this was hand in front of face stuff
and it was hard to read the lines in the palm of your
hand? he puzzled as I do at how birds do fly in very
thick fog? especially whilst at sea.

It their honking! cawling a type of echo location? if
they hear their mates then follow that sound?

A good question eh?

Have a good day everyone. Spring comes early eh?

Goes back to lunch with Eggy, Lee, Ruby and Cole. The
later soon to fly off I think? geeeeez these miners
grow fast ....... must be the welsh in them with their
food secombe skills :^D they secombe food here, they
secombe food there, they secombe food everywhere.

Sorry hehehe

JAG