birding-aus

Bird hides - Wonga Wetlands, Albury

Subject: Bird hides - Wonga Wetlands, Albury
From: "Matthew Herring" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:30:57 +1000

G'day Mick, Jill and others,

Following on from Mick's comments regarding poorly designed birdhides... I have done some simple bird surveying work for the Wonga Wetlands to prioritise areas for screening, based on the principle of getting people to the bird hides before they've flushed all the birds away. I'd simply walk around the proposed route with a detailed map and record my location when a waterbird(s) flushed, and the location of the birds that flushed, what species, how many, where they flew etc. Amazing how many you flush when you add it up (e.g. Lagoon 5, Wonga Wetlands - an average of 474 birds and 16 species for 1.5 km in 1.5 hrs) . It doesn't take many visits before you get a good feel for where screening should be implemented, and hence where birdhides should be constructed. Seasonal changes in habitat, and hence the distribution and abundance of individual species, warrants a spread of surveys in different seasons. Choice of vegetation species for planting is crucial (e.g. Phragmites vs Melaleuca), or whether some fencing like "Brushwood" (Teatree) is feasible. I am looking forward to gradual evaluation of the screening process now that some planting has taken place. Screening is used superbly at some wetlands (e.g. around Kerang, Kakadu). It can also provide additional habitat for species like Little Grassbird, Purple Swamphen, crakes, rails and bitterns. On another note, i find verandahs protuding well beyond the viewing windows in a birdhide help greatly in keeping the observers in shadow. Cheers, Matt Herring.