birding-aus

Malleefowl "some good news"

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Malleefowl "some good news"
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:12:15 +0930
At 08:58 PM 24-08-01 +0930, you wrote:
G'Day all

Today we found two active Malleefowl mounds at Brookfield Conservation
Park.  One of these was located where no mounds have been seen for about
25 years.  And at Bakara Conservation Park which is about 40 km south of
Brookfield, there were six separate recently scratched over mounds in
different parts of the reserve several weeks ago.  Both these Parks are
about one hour drive from Adelaide.

In most of the larger mallee reserves throughout the Riverland to the
South-East of South Australia, near Kingston (Mt. Scott CP.), Malleefowl
seem to be surviving reasonably well by comparison to populations that
were evident 30 years ago.   The understory condition throughout the
area seems to be improving rapidly due to the calici virus kill of
rabbits.

The main threat to Malleefowl in these Reserves is uncontrolled fire
that can destroy their entire island of habitat.   And the increasing
density of the understory is also resulting in increased fuel loads, so
without careful management, better habitat may be a double edged sword
for poor old Malleefowl.

Regards

Ian and Pat May
Hi Ian,

I went up to Gluepot on Sunday surveying Malleefowl mounds. We found 6 old mounds when I left. (Dexter and friends were still surveying when I left late in the arvo.) Dexter said he had found at least 1 active mound on the Saturday. It's a top spot up there. I will have a decent look up there another time. New birds for me whilst walking the mallee looking for Malleefowl mounds were :

                Spotted Pardalote
                White-eared Honeyeater
Chestnut Quailthrush - It whirred off quail-like from some spinifex I was stepping over. Striated Grasswren - A group a 3 seen flying low to the ground and hopping quickly on touchdown as they all scurried under the spinifex. I only saw the birds from behind. They were a very red-brown colour on their back and tail. Their tails were cocked at 45deg. A pair of Pink Cockatoos were seen flying overhead. - Always a beautiful sight.

Regards,
Peter.