birding-aus

last message

Subject: last message
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:42:06 +1100

Dear birders

Owing to the rush and distractions of retiring today and getting sorted out all week, I didn't put on the air my Saturday 18th Maroubra Observations:

Took a mid afternoon walk in the strong westerly south of the Surf Club, Maroubra, S.Sydney, NSW.. Little happening out to sea except a few Gannets and a continuous stream of Fluttering Shearwaters further out, going north. No doubt Huttons among them but not close enough to pick them out.

Walking down to Magic Point, 6 Sooty Oystercatchers were on the rock shelf (low tide) and when sitting out on the point I watched the resident pair of Kestrels - he doing courtship duty and feeding her some curled pinkish object - perhaps a prawn stolen from the fishermen below who were chucking burley into the water. No sign of the Peregrines.

At Eve St wetland Rockdale 7.30 am that morning, saw a Striated Heron. In the years I've been surveying this site, the number of Red-rumped Parrots seems to have increased. They breed in the old Norfolk Pines that the RTA have kindly left standing (having cut down halfof the total 3 years ago for the major road being built across the end of Eve St wetland). So I very much hope that these trees are safe from the chain saw as they are the only old trees in the immediate area with hollows. And Black-shouldered Kites nest in the tallest remaining tree.

So, thanks to all who emailed their good wishes for my retirement, and hope to be back on air after my NT and WA trip which takes me nearly to Christmas.

--
Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.