birding-aus

Currawong Hysteria

To: <>
Subject: Currawong Hysteria
From: "Jim Reside" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:03:58 +1000
Hi Folks,

Down here south of the border we have been receiving a battering from good old mother nature over the last few weeks. The Pied Currawongs seem to be able to predict the onslaught and gather together in our backyard prophesising loudly to one another. They really carry-on with wailing type calls, whilst flying frantically around the canopy in an almost agitated fashion. The calls are not the familiar "me arse, me arse, me elbow" or "caant cross the river" as me mum used to say. I have heard these calls and witnessed this behaviour several times and joke to those who are within earshot that it's time to "batten down the hatches'. Has anybody else witnessed this type of behaviour?

Jim Reside