birding-aus

The Gouldian Finch: why is it threatened?

Subject: The Gouldian Finch: why is it threatened?
From: "Jon Hall" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:12:10 +1000

I'm writing a new publication for the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics - not
the Aus Bat Society!) called Measuring Australia's Progress that seeks to
measure - and draw links between - economic, social and environmental progress
and regress in Australia.  The publication will include a short section on
wildlife, part of which I hope will be four short (probably only half a side
each) case studies on certain endangered species (each covering the reasons
behind the species decline and what the future might hold for their survival).

The Gouldian Finch was suggested to me as a good candidate.  Does anyone out
there have a good knowledge of this species and why it has declined?  (I have a
vague idea that a birding aus contributor a year or so ago was working on this
animal up at Lakefield, but I cannot remember his name).  Anyway, if anyone can
help I'd like the chance to pick your brains.

If anyone can think of a different endangered bird that might be a more
interesting candidate, again I'd welcome advice.

I am not subscribed to Birding Aus at work, so could you please reply direct to
me.

Many thanks.

Jon Hall
Measuring Australia's Progress