birding-aus

Blue-winged Kookaburra

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Blue-winged Kookaburra
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:23:58 +1000
I saw two Blue-winged Kookaburras at the traditional location near Lake
Clarendon on Monday.

Can anyone tell me what the prospects are for a species' survival in an
isolated location once it gets down to, a remnant population of say one
family of four or five birds?

Once a group reaches these low levels, is it likely that it can survive
through a couple of generations by siblings pairing, awaiting the off-chance
recruitment of new members?

I've read that laboratory matings of siblings of some small vertebrates have
continued through many (10 or 20) generations sometimes with only quite
small genetic hiccups along the way.

Would anyone on the list care to offer some insight into the future
prospects for this isolated group of Blue-winged Kookaburras?

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056