birding-aus

European Blackbird! but what are ....

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: European Blackbird! but what are ....
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
But what are we going to do if we do give them a name
change?

What will ever happen to all those that gave up their
lives to be baked in a pie? wasn't that a dainty dish
to set before a king?

Worse still as the female "Blackbirds?" take up spray
painting and discover the color gold, brown and gold
striped female blackbirds of differentiating color.

Sacre Bleau is nothing sacred.

And even worse yet still your thinking of banning
children from skipping :^D waits .......

I bet that Conole person started this :^D
JAG
Merrilyn Serong <> wrote:

Hi All,
Dare I say that "Blackbird" is not a very good name as
only about half the birds are black?
Cheers,
Merrilyn
Tony Russell wrote:

I agree Lawrie, in fact my view is that we should just
call them "Blackbirds" and forget the other historical
but now meaningless bits. Incidentally, when I was a
kid in Pomland ( many many moons ago) the blackbirds
ran around on the ground very frequently, but always
nested 1 to 3 metres off the ground.

Tony in Adelaide.
From: Lawrie Conole <>

In the recent thread I noticed with interest that a
few birders referred to the Common Blackbird (Turdus
merula) as the 'European Blackbird'. What a curiously
Eurocentric view point. This bird, seen by many as
being so typically British, actually ranges through
Europe, North Africa, Middle East, Central Asia,
India, China and parts of SE Asia. The name Eurasian
Blackbird used in some texts is probably a little too
restrictive as Eurasian is usually defined as that
part of the
Palaearctic ranging over into the Central Asian
mountains, but not beyond. In any case it's as much an
Asian bird as a European one.

My first encounter with the Common Blackbird as an
indigenous bird was last year in a park in the centre
of Tashkent, capital of Uzbekistan in the former USSR
states of Central Asia. They were very arboreal there,
and I hardly saw any near the ground, let alone
running around on the grass like they do here.

L.