birding-aus

Results & Answer - "Where was I?" #2

To: "Birding-Aus Mail" <>
Subject: Results & Answer - "Where was I?" #2
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:22:27 +1000
It seems Russell's fear that this game would generate lots of mail were
unfounded.  In the last few days there have been just 7 guesses - about half
of that Harvey Perkins' list attracted.  The list appears again below.

The guesses were as follows:

Angahook-Lorne State Park, around Lorne in the Otway Ranges, SW Victoria -
Jack Krohn, John Boyce, Harvey Perkins and Russell Woodford.

Airey's Inlet, near the eastern edge of Angahook-Lorne SP, eastern Otway
Ranges, SW Victoria - Steve Clark.

Ralph Illedge Sanctuary, west of the Otways towards Warrnambool - Andrew
Stafford.

Nelson, SW Victoria - Lorraine Phelan.

So the winner is Lorraine Phelan.  My list was accumulated around Deutschers
canoe camp on the Glenelg River, in Lower Glenelg National Park near Nelson,
SW Victoria in March 2000.  The Rufous Bristlebird, Rose Robin, Forest Raven
and Gang-gang Cockatoo seemed to draw people irresistibly to the Otway
Ranges (as I suspected it might!!), but all of these are relatively abundant
in Lower Glenelg too - though as Harvey noted, some are on the western edge
of their range there.  The slew of waterbirds is the real clue.  Lower
Glenelg is about the only place where these can be simultaneously recorded
with wet forest birds.  I can't think of too many places in the Otways where
this list could be compiled within a few hundred metres - maybe Lake
Elizabeth near Barwon Downs.

Thanks for playing.

Cheers -- Lawrie

Pacific Black Duck
Little Pied Cormorant
Great Cormorant
White-faced Heron
Nankeen Night Heron
Brown Goshawk
Dusky Moorhen
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Gang-gang Cockatoo
Galah
Purple-crowned Lorikeet
Crimson Rosella
Powerful Owl
White-throated Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Spotted Pardalote
Rufous Bristlebird
White-browed Scrubwren
Brown Thornbill
Little Wattlebird
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-eared Honeyeater
White-naped Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Golden Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Grey Fantail
Pied Currawong
Grey Currawong
Forest Raven
Red-browed Finch
Welcome Swallow
Tree Martin
Fairy Martin
Bassian Thrush
Common Blackbird

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail:  <>
Web page:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/