birding-aus

White (Grey) Goshawk

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: White (Grey) Goshawk
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:11:34 +1000
Amanda from Sydney arrived here yesterday afternoon with raptors in mind,
and a White phase Grey Goshawk obliged within minutes! I don't know what the
incidence of White Goshawks to Grey is elsewhere, but although we see Grey
hereabouts, and had one here for a few days just a couple of weeks back, the
white bird is quite a rarity for us

As if indulging us, the same magnificent bird turned up again during
breakfast this-morning, as did a Collared Sparrowhawk, and a White-bellied
Sea-eagle. Raptures from Amanda! It's been by a couple more times already
today, very much of a size with an immature Brown Goshawk that also called
in fleetingly. But it's deceptive, because the white bird is so stunningly
sleek and elegant - more so even than the grey, which is beautiful anyway.

So, with Azure Kingfisher in the creek, Speckled Warblers in the bird bath,
Cockatiels on a dead tree across the creek and Double-barred and Zebra
Finches in the garden, Amanda is off to a good start.

But, we're about to go out to try to top up the raptors!

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056