birding-aus

1080 tolerance

Subject: 1080 tolerance
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:57:09 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ian Fraser wrote:
> THe high tolerance of some SW species (particulary herbivorous mammals
> and to a slightly lesser degree their predators) is due to the natural
> occurrence of 1080 (Sodium Fluoracetate from memory) in many SW pea
> plants. THe name Poison Pea for many species, particularly in the genus
> Gastrolobium, relects this. It is also the prime reason that the Darling
> Ranges are still in pretty good nick - sheep sent to graze them didn't
> come back!

Not for much longer.   The Centre for Rumen Biotechnology at Murdoch Uni
is working on genetically engineering  gastrointestinal tract bacteria
which would protect sheep from fluoracetate poisoning.

Also, a ref which I don't think has mentioned is:

Twigg, L.E. and King, D.R. (1989). Tolerance to fluoroacetate in some
Australian birds. Australian Wildlife Research 16: 49-67.

I don't have time to get the library and summarize it unfortunately.

Andrew Taylor