birding-aus

Cisticola and Nankeen Night Heron's

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Cisticola and Nankeen Night Heron's
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 02:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

I'm waiting on an answer back from My favorite mac but
whilst waiting before submitting to this years atlas:

About six years ago we had a moderate sized growth in
the numbers of new dwellings being built close to
where I live. For this to happen much tree felling and
bush clearing occurred. With so many of the new
locally replanted shrubs and trees now well
established, it's good to see a return of some birds I
thought might take a lot longer to return, hope one
day David Geering pays this part of the world a visit?
we have five species of HE's all within a relatively
small area.

Yellow-faced, White-plumed, White-eared, White-naped
and the gorgeous New Holland. Something special about
the song/call of the New Holland, each time I hear it
it makes me freeze up.

Both the Little and Red Wattle-bird seem more visible
in this area as of late. As is the cheeky Magpie
lark's and Magpies. Little raven numbers close to the
railway station early am are also more noticeable.

Note 1:
On about five occasions over the past few months
friends and myself have noticed Nankeen Night Herons
using the pier and pier lighting late at night to
assist with their fishing success, has anyone else on
the list picked up on this? mankind influencing birds
without mankind's presence.

Note 2:
I've been playing around with olde songs, yep yet
again
:^D only to have the golden headed Cisticola make an
appearance on my atlas effort this year? is it a case
of more being around? or are those we have becoming
more human friendly?

Note 3:
As could be easily imagined the little penguin parade
at Phillip Island is not the only location to see
little penguins in Western Port, although the Phillip
Parade is the largest in numbers, what seems to be
happening is the other WP small island colonies are
increasing in numbers?

Yours in birding friendship,
John A. Gamblin

Gee it's cold tonight I've got ICE on my keyboard :-]