birding-aus

Birds Australia Bigday around Cairns

To: <>
Subject: Birds Australia Bigday around Cairns
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:32:04 +1000
Hi Everyone,
We took off around Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands to atlas and clock up
the species numbers for Birds Australia's 100th birthday. It was a very laid
back day with frequent stops for smoko. A total of 10 atlas sheets were done
and 140 species seen. Highlights were 5000+ Plumed Whistling Ducks and 2500+
Magpie Geese at Hasties Swamp (17° 17' 35''  145° 28' 25'', 1km from
Atherton) viewed from the new two storey bird hide which has just been built
and in which BA-North Queensland Group had a major part in organising.
Square-tailed Kite over Mareeba High School, several parties of Sarus
Cranes, the largest was almost 200 in number. Surprisingly there was 100+
Cattle Egrets at the Cairns southern treatment works (16° 57' 23''  145° 45'
06''), this is the largest number of Cattle Egrets we've seen in Cairns and
over the last few months we've seen them scattered around the area. Also
here were 3 Long-billed Corellas, two of which looked like they had a nest
hollow in a dead tree, we've seen these presumed escapees around this area
for at least five years. A Muscovy Duck was at Hasties Swamp and more were
seen at Platypus Park (17° 16' 42''  145° 28' 16'') in Atherton breeding,
along with Domestic Ducks. At least 6 Greylag Geese were at a park in
Mareeba. It was a pleasant day and an great excuse to get out and do some
atlassing.

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

PO Box 2209 Cairns, (16°55' 40"S 145° 46' 35"E)
Far North Queensland 4870 Australia
Email